How to File GST Return, Every registered taxable person has to furnish outward supply details in Form GSTR-1 by the 10th of the subsequent month. Check Detailed Information for Returns Under GST, Returns Under Goods and Service Tax, GST Return. Download GST Return Formats, Draft Report on Returns under GST, GST is a self-assessed destination based taxation system. The submission and processing of return is an important link between the taxpayer and tax administration. This document lists out the salient aspects of the process related to filing of Returns under GST. Recently we provide complete details for Filing of GST Returns, Revision of return, Short Filing of Return Now you can scroll down below n check more details for Draft Report on Returns under GST.
GST Monthly Returns
Based on the category of registered person such as monthly return is to be filed by Regular, Foreign Non Residents, ISD and Casual Tax Payers whereas Compounding/Composite tax payers has to file quarterly returns:
GST Returns Others
1. Every registered person who is required to get his accounts audited shall furnish, electronically, the annual return (FORM GSTR- 9) along with a copy of the audited annual accounts and a reconciliation statement, reconciling the value of supplies declared in the return furnished for the financial year with the audited annual financial statement.
2. Registered person who is required to furnish a return as above and whose registration has been cancelled shall furnish a FINAL RETURN within three months of the date of cancellation or date of order of cancellation, whichever is later, in FORM GSTR-10.
3. Every person, who has been issued a UIN(Unique Identity Number) and claims refund of the taxes paid on his inward supplies, shall furnish the details of such supplies of taxable goods or services or both in FORM GSTR-11 along with application for such refund claim.
Returns Under GST, Returns Under Goods and Service Tax
Who needs to file Return in GST regime ?
- Every registered dealer is required to file return for the prescribed tax period. A Return needs to be filed even if there is no business activity (i.e. Nil Return) during the said tax period of return;
- Government entities / PSUs , etc. not dealing in GST supplies or persons exclusively dealing in exempted / Nil rated / non –GST goods or services would neither be required to obtain registration nor required to file returns under the GST law.
- However, State tax authorities may assign Departmental ID to such government departments / PSUs / other persons and will ask the suppliers to quote this ID in the supply invoices for all inter-State purchases being made to them.
Must Read –
- GST Definition, Objective, Framework, Action Plan & Scope
- GST Registration – Procedure, Rules, Forms, Documents Required
- GST Registration Formats, Download GST Registration Forms
Salient Features of GST Returns
- Filing of returns would only be through online mode. Facility of offline generation and preparation of returns will also be available. The returns prepared in the offline mode will have to be uploaded.
- There will be a common e-return for CGST, SGST, IGST and Additional Tax.
- A registered Tax Payer shall file GST Return at GST Common Portal either by himself or through his authorised representative;
- There would be no revision of Returns. Changes to be done in subsequent Returns
Types of GST Returns
Eight different types of Returns are prescribed viz. GSTR 1 to GSTR 11; Types of taxpayers for every return and the periodicity of return for different categories of taxpayers is as follows..
|GSTR 1||Outward supplies made by taxpayer (other than compounding taxpayer and ISD)||10th of the next month|
|GSTR-1A||Details of outward supplies as added, corrected or deleted by the recipient|
|GSTR 2||Inward supplies received by a taxpayer (other than a compounding taxpayer and ISD)||15th of the next month|
|GSTR-2A||Details of inward supplies made available to the recipient on the basis of FORM GSTR-1 furnished by the supplier|
|GSTR 3||Monthly return (other than compounding taxpayer and ISD)||20th of the next month|
|GSTR-3A||Notice to a registered taxable person who fails to furnish return under section 27 and section 31|
|GSTR 4||Quarterly return for Compounding Taxpayer||18th of the month next to quarter|
|GSTR-4A||Details of inward supplies made available to the recipient registered under composition scheme on the basis of FORM GSTR-1 furnished by the supplier|
|GSTR 5||Periodic return by Non-Resident Foreign Taxpayer||Last day of registration|
|GSTR 6||Return for Input Service Distributor (ISD)||15th of the next month|
|GSTR-6A||Details of inward supplies made available to the ISD recipient on the basis of FORM GSTR-1 furnished by the supplier|
|GSTR 7||Return for Tax Deducted at Source||10th of the next month|
|GSTR 8||Statement for E-Commerce Operators||—-|
|GSTR 9||GST Annual Return||By 31st December of next FY|
|GSTR 9A||Simplified Annual return by Compounding taxable persons registered under section 8|
|GSTR 10||GST Final Return|
|GSTR 11||GST Inward Supplies Statement for UIN|
|TRP-1||Application for enrolment as Tax return preparer|
|TRP-2||Enrolment certificate as Tax return preparer|
|TRP-3||Show cause to as Tax return preparer|
|TRP-4||Order of cancelling enrolment as Tax return preparer|
|TRP-5||List of Tax return preparers|
|TRP-6||Consent of taxable person to Tax return preparer|
|ITC-1A||GST ITC Mismatch Report|
GST Return Process, E-Filing of GST Returns
- How to File GSTR 1, GST Return Filing Process at GST Portal
- How to File GSTR 2, GST Return Filing Process at GST Portal
- How to File GSTR 3, GST Monthly Return Filing Process at GST Portal
Normal/ Regular Tax Payers
- Normal / Regular taxpayers (including casual taxpayers) would have to file
- GSTR-1 (details of outward supplies)
- GSTR-2 (details of inward supplies) and
- GSTR-3 (monthly Return) for each registration.
- GSTR-9 (Annual return)
- Normal / Regular taxpayers with multiple registrations (for business verticals) within a State would have to file GSTR-1, GSTR-2, GSTR-3 and GSTR-9 (Annual return) for each of the registrations separately.
- A separate reconciliation statement, duly certified by a Chartered Accountant, will have to be filed by those taxpayers who are required to get their accounts audited under section 44AB of Income Tax Act 1961
GST Annual Return
(1) Every registered person, other than an Input Service Distributor, a person paying tax under section 51 or section 52, a casual taxable person and a non-resident taxable person, shall furnish an annual return as specified under sub-section (1) of section 44 electronically in FORM GSTR-9 through the Common Portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner:
Provided that a person paying tax under section 10 shall furnish the annual return in FORM GSTR-9A.
(2) Every registered person whose aggregate turnover during a financial year exceeds one crore rupees shall get his accounts audited as specified under sub-section (5) of section 35 and he shall furnish a copy of audited annual accounts and a reconciliation statement, duly certified, in FORM GSTR-9B, electronically through the Common Portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
GST Final Return
Every registered person required to furnish a final return under section 45, shall furnish such return electronically in FORM GSTR-10 through the Common Portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
Compounding Tax Payers
Compounding taxpayers would have to file a quarterly return called GSTR-4. Taxpayers otherwise eligible for the compounding scheme can opt against the compounding and file monthly returns and thereby make their supplies eligible for ITC in hands of the purchasers. Compounding taxpayer will also file a simple Annual return (GSTR-9)
Casual/ Non – Resident Taxpayers
- Casual/ Non – Resident Taxpayers (other than foreigners) would have to file GSTR-1, GSTR-2 and GSTR-3 returns for the period for which they have obtained registration. The registration of Casual/Non –Resident taxpayers will be done in the same manner as that of Normal / Regular taxpayers.
- Non- Resident Taxpayers (foreigners) would be required to file GSTR-5 return for the period for which they have obtained registration within a period of seven days after the date of expiry of registration. In case registration period is for more than one month, monthly return(s) would be filed and thereafter return for remaining period would be filed within a period of seven days as stated earlier. For these taxpayers the registration format to be used will be the same as that for UN Bodies/Embassies
Must Read –
- GST Definition, Objective, Framework, Action Plan & Scope
- GST Current Tax Structure and proposed GST Regime
- Filing of GST Returns, Revision of return, Short Filing of Return
- Impact of GST in Indian Economy – Complete Analysis
- Tax Structure of GST, Taxation Structure of Goods and Service Tax
- Difference Between Present Tax Structure and GST Structure
- When will GST be applicable – GST Bill Passed in Rajya Sabha
- Why GST For India – Challenges for Success in India
- GST Return – Types of GST Returns, GST Return Forms, File GST Return
If you have any query or suggestion regarding “Returns Under GST, Returns Under Goods and Service Tax” then please tell us via below comment box….